Dyslexia is a language-based learning disability that typically impacts 5-20% of the population. It affects a person’s ability to read, write, and interpret written language. Common characteristics of dyslexia include:
- Difficulty with Spelling
- Struggles to Manipulate the Sounds within Words (Phonological Phrasing)
- Problems Reading out Loud
- Avoiding Reading Activities and Speeches
- Issues Connecting Visual Symbols with Verbal Labels (Rapid Naming)
Dyslexia impacts each person in different ways due to varying levels of severity. However, with a proper diagnosis and education/treatment program, anyone with dyslexia can learn tools to better their quality of life. This is where dyslexia testing comes into play. Through this process, we can evaluate the root cause of a person’s academic and developmental struggles. Then we provide educational advocacy and aftercare services to ensure each client is on a path toward improvement. Contact us at (734) 994-9466 to learn more.
The Importance of Dyslexia Testing in Early Diagnosis and Intervention
There are several things that dyslexia is not. It is not a reflection of how smart someone is or his/her wish to be successful. It isn’t a problem with perception that impacts vision. It is connected to different ways in which the brain processes and interprets language. People with dyslexia have trouble analyzing words. They also have difficulty with the sound-to-symbol connection (phonological analysis), meaning transforming the letters and sounds from the underlying neural system in order to form the sound-to-symbol relationship.
Professionals working in the field emphasize that early identification and treatment is a key for improving achievement in school and life. This can be accomplished through dyslexia testing here at CNLD Testing & Therapy. One rule of thumb that we share with our clients is this: the more days per week of intervention (volume) and number of hours per day (intensity), the greater the possibility of a better treatment outcome. Start your journey to help yourself or your child overcome the biggest struggles associated with dyslexia.
Our LD assessments will provide:
- Pinpointed origins and diagnoses of the person’s learning struggles with effectively planned interventions.
- A better understanding of the impact learning struggles have at school, within work settings and in your personal life.
- Identification of how an individual best learns information, his/her favored learning style, and how to most effectively assist the client in any learning situation.
- An individualized academic plan created by our psychologists to help the student reach his/her full potential.
- An individualized work plan to assist adults with maximizing their performance including a review of possible assistive technology.
- Personalized implementation of these plans with our psychologists, educational advocate or other professionals within the local community with whom we consult.