Social Media Addiction Counseling
Social media platforms, such as Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram, have become a staple of the modern world. While they can be a pleasurable way to keep up with friends and family. They are also highly addictive. If your relationship with social media has negatively impacted other areas of your life, it may be time to re-evaluate your behaviors.
CNLD Testing & Therapy offers social media addiction counseling for teens and adults. If you are worried about yourself or your child, our experienced therapists are here to help. Reach out to (734) 994-9466 to learn more about social media therapy.
The Science behind Social Media Addiction
There is a scientific reason why social media is addictive. Every time you receive a like, comment or other notification, your brain releases a small amount of dopamine. This is the same “happy chemical” that comes from having sex, exercising, and eating tasty food. Your brain is conditioned to crave more of these happy feelings, forcing you into a spiral of frequent social interaction. With social media addiction counseling, you can break the cycle and find healthier ways to feel happy.
Signs You May Have Social Media Addiction
The signs of social media addiction may not be noticeable at first glance. The addiction doesn’t mean you’re on your phone all day. In fact, you may only check your phone a couple times a day. However, the way you feel about social media and the way you interact with it could be a sign of developing addiction. Consider the following questions:
- Are you worried about the amount of time that you or someone you love is spending on social media?
- Has checking and posting on social media interfered with regular life activities (work, school, sleep, family interaction)?
- Have you noticed negative emotions, such as irritability or depression when not engaged in social media even for short periods of time?
- Have you tried to reduce the amount of time you spend on social media without success?
- Do you feel anxious when you cannot check social media?
- Has checking social media become an integral part of your daily routine?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you or your loved one may be in a compulsive relationship with social media. At CNLD Testing & Therapy, we will work with you to determine if your or your loved ones’ behavior has crossed the line from a pleasurable activity to one that has negative impacts on your social, emotional and physical well-being.