Ann Arbor Neuropsychology: Working Memory- What is it?
Tips for Understanding Working Memory:
- Confusion exists regarding the difference between short-term memory and working memory.
- Some psychologists believe they are one and the same.
- Other psychologists differentiate between short-term memory and working memory.
- Short-term memory typically refers to brief, initial storage of information. For example, if I told you a phone number, you would initially hold it in your short-term memory.
- Working memory refers to how you process, manipulate or work with this phone number to remember it over time. This could include verbally repeating the number to yourself or visualizing the number somehow.
Here is a good introductory video regarding working memory entitled: Working Memory: What is Working Memory?
See other posts regarding neuropsychology and the brain:
Learn more about improving working memory through cognitive training by clicking here.