Brain Matures a Few Years Late in ADHD
but Follows Normal Pattern
A 2007 press release from the National Institute of Mental Health discusses brain development in ADHD youths. In some cases, brain development is delayed as much as three years. The full release and related video are available on the NIMH site: Brain Matures a Few Years Late in ADHD, but Follows Normal Pattern.
Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD):
How to Help Children with Autism Learn
From Dr. Lauer and Dr. Beaulieu's talk
Quick facts about Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD)/ Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
- Autism is a 'spectrum disorder' meaning that it affects children in different ways and at different times in their development.
- Typically, delays and learning problems can emerge in several areas of functioning including social functioning, communication skills, motor skills, and overall intellectual potential.
- Each child has their own learning style that includes specific learning challenges as well as areas of preserved skills and, at times, exceptional abilities.
- Both autism and Asperger's disorder are on the same continuum but are distinct in their expression.
What are the challenges students with PDD/ASD frequently experience?
- Academic difficulties that can often be misinterpreted as learning disabilities.
- Problems with executive functioning skills.
- Difficulty in forming relationships with peers.
- Emotional difficulties due to learning and social problems such as anxiety, depression, low self-esteem.
- Fear of new situations and trouble adjusting to changes.
- May look like or be misconstrued as attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Nonverbal Learning Disability (NLD), Oppositional-Defiant Disorder or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Why choose US to help YOU?
- Our evaluations are conducted by neuropsychologists who have been extensively trained in the early detection of autistic spectrum disorders and in the identification of specific patterns of learning strengths and weaknesses that are often associated with this condition.
- Our evaluations help determine which teaching style is best suited to fit an individuals' specific learning profile; we also offer suggestions regarding compensatory educational approached.
- We work as a team with other learning professionals, advocates and health professionals to enhance the child's potential for success in all settings.
'The design of truly individual treatment plans that exploit strengths and compensate for weaknesses begins with a detailed understanding of how learning is different for children with autism than for those without autism and how learning is different among children with autism.'
— Bryna Siegel, Ph.D., author of Helping Children with Autism Learn
For more information on current research, interventions and programs, follow us on Facebook.
Coming to see you for an evaluation was so helpful and Im so happy that I did this. After struggling for years with ADHD but not knowing thats what it was and almost completely ruining our marriage because of it, your diagnosis helped more than you could know. Now I know that its not just me the diagnosis has turned our lives around and helped me feel more accomplished at work. Thanks again for everything.
Sandy and Bob M.